Friday, July 1, 2011

I smile cause y'all have finally driven me crazy.

I cannot believe that it has been over a year and a half since I have posted.  So much has changed in my household.  No, we don't have any new kids, thank God.  Since my last post, we have sold our house and moved to a bigger house. Now all 3 girls have their own rooms.  The girls have passed first grade at their new school and are excited to start 2nd grade in August. (Though, I believe mommy is more excited for them to start school in August.) 

Last month, the girls turned 7.  I try and look a back at the years I have spent with them.  From the movements within mommy's belly, to being born, the many weeks in the NICU, the poopy diapers, to now movements throughout the house at lightning speed, to their early morning ventures, to being little ladies now and  (...not babies anymore dad...) and losing teeth. You spend many days praying for your kids to grow up and stop being babies.  Then they do.  I will never get those years back. Though, at times, I am very grateful for that. 

Thankfully, we have created daddy date nights. It used to be a weekly occurance when mommy would go play bingo with grandma, I would take the girls on a date.  We would go to McDonald's, Burger King,  or Chick-fil-a, eat and play, then maybe head to the park, the pet store, walmart, target or whatever seemed like a good adventure at the time.  During this date, I would play and love on the girls.  I want them to know that I love them every second of every day.  Even when I may scream or yell sometimes.  Lately, these daddy date nights are becoming less frequent.  Money is tight and we cannot afford to do things as we used to.  I hear the girls begging for me to take them out, I hear them tell mamaw that they want money for their birthday so that they can give it to dad so that they can go out on date night.  While I know it means a lot to them, I also know that it means a lot to me.  I love having the time to do what they are doing, when we are not held to the clicking of the clock or a friend at the door.  When they can come over to me, hug me and tell me they love me.  I feel for any father that does not do this with their kids. Daddy Daughter Date Night or Boys Night Out, should be a regular thing.  We as fathers have a duty to show our kids how a man should behave.  Too many times we see fathers focused on themselves, work, golf, etc.  If you forget to take your golf clubs out or turn the tv on for a week or so, those items wont care.  You stop spending time with your family for a week and they do care.  What is important to you?

I know I am rambling on.  What can I say, that is how I roll.  As we move forward into the holiday weekend, think about freedom, think about those that have died to give this freedom to you, think about the kids you have and who you want them to grow up to be. 

With much love,

Daddy Scotty

0 comments: