Friday, January 2, 2009

Here I go again

Well, it is 2009, and as usual, I am thinking about New Year's resolutions. They are all the standard ones; lose weight; exercise; be a better father husband, son, brother, and friend.

Even though, I know from past resolutions that the ones requiring effort (diet and exercise) usually fail. I will not fail to continue trying.

As Mark Twain was said, "The secret to getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one." Therefore, I must get started. While getting started, I can not focus on the goal (lose 200 pounds, be a lean mean fighting machine, or expect immediate results). I must realize that losing weight is a minute by minute, hour by hour and day by day task. Each time I put something in my mouth, I am either hurting or helping my body.

"What do you want to be when you grow up" is usually a question I ask my daughters. However, now I am asking myself, "Who do I want to be when they grow up". Do I want to be confined to a bed or wheel chair due to the weight I am carrying or do I want to be an active father who can participate in the lives of my children? I choose the latter, I choose life.

While I am not sure exactly what this blog will end up being, I will try to use it as a way to be accountable for the actions I do.

If you have any uplifting quotes or encouragement to pass to me, please do so. I love seeing messages from readers.

Thank you,

Daddy Scotty

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Scott! I'm sending well wishes to you. I, too, am trying the weight loss thing. I posted about it on my blog as well to try & make myself accountable. Ugh. Such a hard thing, but you can do it! WE can do it!

Shannon