Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Where Has The Summer Gone?!?

Seems like only yesterday I was dreaming of warmer weather, breaking out the motorcycle and heading for the hills. Since that day, chaos has taken over. Kids turned 5, a pool at mamaw’s house, gymnastics, parks, bicycles, etc. Not that I am complaining. I love the time that I spent with my kids. That is time I could never get back and I did it in a positive and memorable way.

I have also neglected my blog, which doesn’t concern me much. I love to write, I am a social nutcase. Using Twitter and Facebook, I am able connect with other parents. Some with multiples some not, but all have something to offer.

This week, my girls started kindergarten. They absolutely love their teacher and their classmates. Before long “A” will be having a boyfriend, like she did in preschool. She is much like me. (In the social aspect, not the boyfriend.) Many parents have told me that once they start kindergarten things speed up. I assumed that already. However, I never thought about all the other stuff that goes along with school. Softball sign-ups, still questioning; girl scouts; fundraisers, PTO meetings, etc.

We have been preparing all summer for the time when the girls enter kindergarten and what steps we were going to take to ensure that “A” is not subjected to peanuts. I could never have imagined how understanding, cooperative, and assertive that the school was going to be. The girls school lives are close to the nurses’ office. They are the first class to eat lunch. When 1 child dropped peanut butter on his shirt, the teacher took him straight to the nurse and changed his shirt and washed his hands. I am amazed and happy beyond belief. One area that I am still struggling with is the bus ride. My wife and I decided it was best for the girls not to ride the bus. Main reason is the peanut allergy. We can not control what happens on the bus and can not expect the driver to control the situation. This is hard for me, because they have been dreaming and excited about riding the bus since they first learned to say the words “School bus”. Maybe when they mature enough to understand the risk and how to protect themselves, we can allow them to go on the bus. Until then, we will keep them off the bus.

Mommy is volunteering at the school. This gives mommy, girls, teachers and administrators a little more comfort about the peanut allergy, while wife-e-pooh assists them with some much needed help. As they say, a Win-Win situation.

I wish each of you a very happy week. May each day bring happiness and love to your life.

0 comments: