Wednesday, August 6, 2008

County Fairs and Stress

Why is it that every time that I want to start doing something healthy, events come up that I feel compelled to eat. Right now, we have the county fairs and the state fairs going on. The smell of the fair food can draw even the most disciplined person to salivate. Thankfully, I am not the type of person that likes the fried candy stuff. You know, like the deep fried twinkie, cookie dough, banana cheesecake foster, reece cup, etc. That stuff is a heart attack waiting to happen. For a big guy like me that heart attack might just happen right there on the fair ground. Something that also helps me is that I don't have any money. Therefore, I go for the cheap necessities and bypass on the rest. Sure, I might partake in a bag of german roasted walnuts or possibly a sandwich from the pork tent, but I am only human.

My current biggest issue is wanting to eat more when my stress level is high. With triplets, that seems like that is always the case. There is always someone wanting my attention or crying to me that the other one hurt them. That makes that little guy on my shoulder say "Hey, that bag of chips sure sounds good right now. Go ahead open the bag." Unfortunately, there is the other guy on the other shoulder saying "hey isn't there some french onion dip in the fridge".

Thankfully, my wife and I have been working on what we are purchasing from the store. Trying not to buy the ice cream, cakes, cookies, etc, that we usually littered the cabinets with. I have also been trying to make my portions less. However, we just went to a parade this past weekend that filled a 1 gallon ice cream container that we took to combine their bags. I need to toss it or give it away. ....hey that reminds me. Back when I was in Weight Watchers the leader told me that she used to have her kids take a few pieces out and then take the rest of it to work for her co-workers. That might just work for me. I may try that, instead of eating pieces that I think they wont eat.

Wish me luck on my continued weight loss. I know that I will need it.

Scotty H.

0 comments: