Friday, August 1, 2008

Lord, I want to be just like you....Cause they want to be just like me

The other day, I was driving home from work and started singing a song. I have included the words to the song her. Understand, that now that I have triplet girls, the words have changed just a bit. But the meaning is still very much the same.

He climbs in my lap for a goodnight hug
He calls me Dad and I call him Bub
With his faded old pillow and a bear named Pooh
He snuggles up close and says, "I want to be like you"
I tuck him in bed and I kiss him goodnight
Trippin' over the toys as I turn out the light
And I whisper a prayer that someday he'll see
He's got a father in God 'cause he's seen Jesus in me

Lord, I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be just like me
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible, Lord
That my little boy can read
I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be like me

Got to admit I've got so far to go
Make so many mistakes and I'm sure that You know
Sometimes it seems no matter how hard I try
With all the pressures in life I just can't get it all right
But I'm trying so hard to learn from the best
Being patient and kind, filled with Your tenderness
'Cause I know that he'll learn from the things that he sees
And the Jesus he finds will be the Jesus in me
Right now from where he stands I may seem mighty tall
But it's only 'cause I'm learning from the best Father of them all

Where am I going with this, you may ask. Too many days, I wonder how my girls see me. What are they learning every day when I yell, when I scream, when I spank, when I hug, when I kiss, when sing, when I play. What kind of man are they seeing in me? Am I the kind of example that I want them to grow up to be like? I hope so. Each day I try, but each day I feel like I fail. Because of that, I feel that I am doing a good job. Because, I know that because I care so much of how I am, shows me that I am doing the best I can. I am heading in the right direction and as long as I keep looking toward the SON, I will be the best dad I can be.

I hope that this isn't coming out too sappy, but that is who I am.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hope you don't mind if I borrow this...I love this song! I'm going to put it on my blog and hopefully someone will borrow it from me as well! :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

Just heard this song today...searched for the lyrics and got your page...a beautiful song and i hope your girls grow to love it one day too.
Tash